Friday, October 27, 2006

Michael J. Fox Admits to Not Taking His Medication

The following is an excerpt from Michael J. Fox’s autobiography ‘Lucky Man’ in which he admits to deliberately going off his medication when he appeared under oath before Congress …

“Snippets of my testimony were featured on several of the nightly news broadcasts. One line in particular from my prepared statement got a lot of play: "In my forties, I can expect challenges most people wouldn't face until their seventies and eighties, if ever. But with your help, if we all do everything we can to eradicate this disease, when I'm in my fifties I'll be dancing at my children's weddings." I had made a deliberate choice to appear before the subcommittee without medication. It seemed to me that this occasion demanded that my testimony about the effects of the disease, and the urgency we as a community were feeling, be seen as well as heard. For people who had never observed me in this kind of shape, the transformation must have been startling”
And here is a clip from Inside Edition which features a snippet of the Diana Sawyer interview with Michael J. Fox where he admits to not taking his medication before certain public appearances.