Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI List of Top 100 Quotes From U.S. Films

Did anyone else catch AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes last evening on C-BS? Overall, I agreed with the majority of the quotes which were placed on the list though I certainly disagreed with the placement of a few as well as the exclusion of certain lines which I thought should have been included. Below are my thoughts on the program.

Here are some of the quotes which found their way onto the Top 100 list which I thought should not have been included:
  • "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987
  • "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", "On Golden Pond," 1981
  • "My precious," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," 2002
  • "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," "2001: A Space Odyssey," 1968 [Of all the memorable quotes from this film, they picked this one?]
  • "What a dump," "Beyond the Forest," 1949
  • "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," "Annie Hall," 1977
  • "Plastics," "The Graduate," 1967
  • "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", "Network," 1976
  • "Rosebud," "Citizen Kane," 1941 [Personally I think Citizen Kane is too overrated]
  • "Love means never having to say you're sorry," "Love Story," 1970
The following are quotations on the Top 100 list which I thought deserved to be higher on the list then they were:
  • "Hasta la vista, baby," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," 1991
  • "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," "Casablanca," 1942
  • "I see dead people," "The Sixth Sense," 1999
  • "I'll be back," "The Terminator," 1984
  • "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Casablanca," 1942
And here are some quotations I have chosen which I thought should have been included:
  • "No. I am your father," "Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back," 1980 [Why this was never included on the list I will never know]
  • "I have a bad feeling about this"
  • "To infinity and beyond!," "Toy Story," 1995
  • "So, why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?," "Back to the Future," 1985
  • "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads," "Back to the Future," 1985
  • "This have certainly changed around here. I remember when this was all farm land as far the eye could see. Old man Peabody owned all of this. He had this crazy idea about breeding pine trees," "Back to the Future," 1985
  • "Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they'll never take... our freedom!," "Braveheart," 1995
  • "The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots," "Braveheart," 1995
  • "Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself," "The Matrix," 1999
  • "Free your mind," "The Matrix," 1999
  • "Good bye, Mr Anderson," "The Matrix," 1999
  • "At my signal, unleash hell," "Gladiator," 2000
  • "What we do in life echoes in eternity," "Gladiator," 2000
  • "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next," "Gladiator," 2000
  • "Get out of the water!," "Jaws," 1975
  • "Smile you son of a bitch," "Jaws," 1975
  • "Nedry, our lives are in you hands, and you've got Butterfingers?," "Jurassic Park," 1993
  • "What've they got in there, King Kong?," "Jurassic Park," 1993
  • "God help us; we're in the hands of engineers," "Jurassic Park," 1993
  • "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?!," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1981