Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Pere Jacques Marquette Statue to be Unveiled September 23rd

I am not what you would consider an art ‘expert’. I know what I like and what I don’t like and that is about it. I am not however intune with the logistics of what does and does not constitute as ‘art’, if even such a clear-cut definition exists. What I can state for a fact though is that our notably high tuition payments should be better prioritized for more important projects around campus then on a statue of Pere Jacques Marquette who, besides the fact that he was in no way involved with the establishment of this university whatsoever, we have no idea of what he exactly looked like along with a celebration party for the unveiling of the statue. I have heard a number of critical remarks from fellow students who have observed the statue saying that the proportions for the figure are off, everything from his hands being too large to a remark by one student who noticed that the statue from an observational standpoint did not have a left foot.

[Note: I have taken pictures of the statue from a number of different angles but I am unfortunately without the cable I use to transfer those pictures from my digital camera to my laptop computer. This means however that I will have to wait until Friday to post those pictures of the statue. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused]