Wednesday, July 27, 2005

NASA Suspends Shuttle Program Over Foam Debris

All I have to say is that it is about damn time that NASA suspended the shuttle program following the latest maintenance debacle, this time on the space shuttle Discovery. In my opinion, and believe me when I say that I am not the only space fanatic out there who thinks this, the shuttle program has done nothing more then high school science projects performed within a zero-gravity environment that could just as easily be performed on solid ground and yield the exact same results. For years I have been the one who has demanded that NASA dump the program and concentrate all their efforts in returning to the moon (direct competition with China would result in sense of urgency like the space race with Russia did in the 1950s and 60s) and landing on the planet Mars. Sadly, with the current NASA administrators still in place I believe this will act as a blow to their pride and confidence which will hinder chances of those missions being accomplished within the next ten – twenty years. I just hope I am wrong on that part.