Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Shallow Gal

For those who need reminding here are Oscar-winner (who voted for Academy Award-winning performance – Americans, right) Gwyneth Paltrow’s anti-American sentiment which set off a firestorm of controversy recently:

“Brits are far more intelligent and civilised than Americans”
In the aftermath of the controversy, Gwyneth and her publicist are pulling a Dixie Chick and quickly backpedaling insisting that the movie starlet (I dare you to name one movie in the past five years that she’s starred in that anyone outside of a cult status has cared about) was misquoted (I don’t know but what she said seemed pretty clear and precise to me) and that in fact she loves America (she only lives in England because her husband’s English – score one for neo-feminism).

This however is not the first time Gwyneth has been caught making anti-American statements. In January 2006 she was quoted as saying:

“I love the English way, which is not as capitalistic as it is in America. People don't talk about work and money; they talk about interesting things at dinner parties. I like living here because I don't tap into the bad side of American psychology, which is 'I'm not achieving enough, I'm not making enough, I'm not at the top of the pile.' It's just kind of like, I am”
Yes, down the evil capitalist system which allowed you to live the lavish (and possibly haze-induced) lifestyle you grew up with and brought the fame and celebrity you take for granted today.

None of what she has said in the past week or so is anything new. It’s just being rehashed.