Monday, June 5, 2006

Gay Days at Walt Disney World

I suppose this is as good a time as any to discuss one of the Walt Disney Corporation’s dirty little secrets, Gay Days at the Walt Disney World resort. Although the Disney Corporation does not ‘officially’ sponsor the event, they sure as Hell don’t mind them bringing their money to central Florida and making full use of the company’s theme parks for their event. This past Saturday, June 3rd, the Magic Kingdom theme park was flooded with individuals wearing red shirts identifying them as homosexuals celebrating Gay Days. This was unquestionably one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life. Believe me when I say I am not exaggerating. By now you should know from reading this blog that I have moral objections to homosexuality in general although I certainly do have friends who are indeed homosexuals. What happens in the privacy of your own home is none of my business but once you bring it into the public forum then it becomes an issue. I have found that in terms of what the corporation likes to call ‘preserving the magic’ the Walt Disney World resort talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk. For example, the Walt Disney World resort refuses to sell alcoholic beverages inside the Magic Kingdom in order to ‘preserve the magic’ in spite of the fact that (a) many people either bring beer into the parks with them or are already intoxicated when they arrive and (b) they’d make a killing selling it here (you wouldn’t imagine the number of times I have been asked whether or not they sell beer inside the park). On the other hand they have no objections whatsoever to homosexuals walking around the park, holding hands, cuddling, kissing, or wearing sexually suggestive t-shirts that any straight person would be kicked out of the park for (one lesbian wore a t-shirt that read ‘If You Lick It, They Will Come’ while other homosexuals wore less offensive but still sexually suggestive t-shirts with such phrases as ‘Gold Digga’ and ‘You’ll Do’ printed on the front of them). I understand the economic potential of allowing Gay Days to proceed ‘under the radar’ here at the Walt Disney World resort but given how seriously Disney preaches ‘preserving the magic’ to its cast members, especially in regards to the College Program participants, I find this to be particularly hypocritical on their part.