Monday, September 17, 2007

The Stupidity of Sally Field

Regrettably I was working last night so I was unable to witness this for myself, though to be quite honest I don’t believe I would have felt compelled to watch the Emmys anyway – I mean, Ryan ‘OUT! Of the Closet’ Seacrest was hosting for Pete’s sake, but there was apparently this whole brouhaha over Sally ‘Flying Nun’ Field’s acceptance speech in which she criticized the Iraq War.

Here is the video of her acceptance speech UNEDITED:





In addition Sally Field commented backstage (audio below) that she was serious of her controversial statement during her acceptance speech …



I am not even going to bother addressing the conspiratorial theories of liberal activists who claim Sally Field’s anti-Iraq War statement was censored because of a calculated assault by the right-wing operated Fox network. Deadline Hollywood points out correctly that Ray Romano was censored earlier in the evening for saying his former co-star Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammar were ‘screwing’ in their new comedy series as was Grey’s Anatomy’s Katherine Heigl who mouthed ‘Oh, shit’.

Sally Field’s argument that ‘if mothers ruled the world there would be no goddamn wars’ is the equivalent of the age-ol’ Neo-femi-Nazi argument that men are the source of all wars and death in the world and that if women ruled the world then the world would be a more peaceful place. They say this of course all the while blatantly ignoring Elizabeth I, Joan of Arc, Boudica (queen of the Brythonic Celtic Iceni people of Norfolk in Eastern Britain who led a major uprising of the tribes against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire … yes, I am a Latin geek), and others who led their nations to war. Simply put statements like hers are ignorant, naïve, and just plain devoid of any conscionable thought whatsoever.

I’ll leave you with Keven McCullough and News Busters deconstructing what little support structure there was for Sally Field’s comment last night.