Monday, December 12, 2005

Politics in Film - The Island

Politics in film – this is a new concept I have decided to tackle on this site. There are a number of feature films that have hit the domestic box office, or are just about to, that comment on a variety of topics in the field of political science – the war in Iraq, oil, feminism, etc. – and since I enjoy writing movie reviews, although it has been less frequent then in the past, I thought I would put my skills in this area to good use for this site. This won’t be a weekly or bi-monthly sort of thing, but instead whenever I feel the whim to commentate politically on a film, I will post it here.


The first one up is an unlikely political commentary, Michael Bay’s science-fiction thriller, The Island, which unfortunately bombed over the summer season and comes to DVD tomorrow. The film’s story covers a variety of controversial topics, human cloning and totalitarianism among them, and in an age where the extent to which stem-cell research can be conducted is the hot topic in the American forum, this film may very well shed light on what is to come based on our actions today.